Thursday, December 6, 2012

Social Media


Having just celebrated my 66th birthday, I guess I can be excused for noting the general degradation of communication today.

We have this myth about electronic communication, one that tells us that email, texting, social websites and tweeting all facilitate communication. If you regard the distribution of data as communication, then I guess you are correct.

However I have noticed a serious disconnect between what many people say via electrons and what they actually do. Typing a phrase, and here I quote a recent message I received, "I WANT TO BE OWNED," and actually doing something about it are two different things.

Here's the background: I wrote to a guy who have visited my profile on a hook-up site. I began the conversation this way: "call me at 312-206-8793 when you are free." That was in May. He never did call but he did reply "YES MASTER." The caps are his.

In October he hit me up on the site. I asked him what was he seeking. He replied, "TOTAL CONTROL PAIN PIG SLAVE SIR." He did send me contact information.

This past week his communications started up again. Rather than bore you with more of the same, let me just say that I have called him three times this week and he hasn't returned my calls. I did see him online very late one night and texted him to see if he wanted to talk. He texted back that he was groggy and would call me in 30 minutes. As might be expected, he didn't.

Over and over again I find that when it comes to online communications, words and actions just don't match. As a therapist once told me, "When a client says one thing and does another, I always listen to what he does."

Keep your words and actions consistent and you will be much happier for it. And guess what? So will the person with whom you're communicating.


Have a great day. Jack

* * * * *

Buying one of my books helps to pay for the cost of this email. Please visit my website to make a purchase.

I have changed the way I my deliver my column. Please go to http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/mQyjG and sign up to receive my weekly email via my blog site.


You can send me email at mrjackr@leathermail.com or visit my website at http://www.LeatherViews.com. You can also subscribe to my blog at LeatherMusings.blogspot.com. Copyright 2012 by Jack Rinella, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment